The wait is finally over. In a few weeks, the official opening of the Salish Cliffs Golf Club in Shelton, Wash. will mark an effort that’s taken nearly four years to complete. From the bad economy to bad weather, the Squaxin Island Tribe has persevered – and the result is stunning. The par 72, 7,300-yard championship course was designed by Gene Bates whose previous design efforts include Circling Raven Golf Club in Worley, Idaho. Salish Cliffs is part of the Little Creek Casino Resort.
Salish Cliffs’ Head Professional David Kass says that “the new course will be one of the best golf experiences in the country.” Given that earlier this year the National Golf Foundation reported that more golf courses closed than opened for the fifth year in a row, Salish Cliffs is in select company. Visitors will not be disappointed. Bates has created a stunning track. For example, 16 of 18 holes are encircled by lush forest and natural vegetation. The course also features rock facings with elevation changes up to 600 feet and smooth transitions between holes. Here’s what awaits your visit to Salish Cliffs, which is only a 15 minute drive from the state capital of Olympia, or 70 minutes from Seattle:
Highlights of Salish Cliffs Golf Club:
- Opening weekend for Salish Cliffs Golf Club is Sept. 16-18.
- The course offers stunning 360-degree views of the Kamilche Valley, with picturesque rock facings and lots of green forests.
- The outstanding directional changes feature frequent uphill and downhill tests, challenging bunker placement, and shapes.
- Atypical to the area, preferred bentgrass stretches tee to green and is bordered by pure ryegrass in the rough for a distinctive, contrasting look.
- Holes No. 9 and No. 18 share an expansive 15,000-square-foot double green with a sparkling lake and wetland preserve separating the holes.
- An expansive clubhouse with wrap-around porch and second floor mezzanine is slated to overlook holes No. 9 and No. 18.
- Future amenities will include a log house, cedar-style architecture that reflects the style and structure of Little Creek Casino Resort.
More details about Salish Cliffs Golf Club can be found at www.salish-cliffs.com.