Trips to the dentist and commercial whitening products can be expensive, but you can lower these expenses by improving your dental health naturally. In fact, you can ward of tooth decay, increase saliva production, whiten your teeth and improve gum health with natural products and items you probably already have in your kitchen, such as strawberries and baking soda.
Of course, saving money and spending less time at the dentist are only two of the many reasons to work towards better dental health. Better breath, a brighter smile, keeping your natural teeth later in life and avoiding conditions that have been linked to gum disease, such as heart disease and premature births, are reason enough to pursue a natural path to better mouth health.
Here are 10 simple steps to naturally improving the health of your teeth and gums.
1. Mash up a strawberry, and rub it on your teeth to allow natural enzymes to naturally whiten your smile.
2. Take vitamin D along with your calcium supplement to help your body better metabolize this dental health-promoting mineral. The anti-inflammatory nature of vitamin D can also help reduce your risk for gum disease.
3. Apply a bit of all-natural topical paste with calcium and phosphate (available at most health food stores or online) on your teeth before going to bed at night.
4. Brush your teeth with baking soda, or make your own baking soda toothpaste, to avoid the chemicals in conventional toothpastes and benefit from its ability to naturally whiten your teeth and neutralize acids produced by bacteria in your mouth.
5. Eat a small cube of cheese after meals to help preserve tooth enamel, kill bacteria and increase saliva production.
6. Switch to dentist-approved, all-natural mints sweetened with xylitol, which increases saliva production to ward off tooth decay.
7. Kill bacteria on your toothbrush by soaking it in hydrogen peroxide between brushings.
8. Ward off tooth decay by gently cleaning between your teeth with all-natural floss.
9. Switch to a natural toothpaste with tea tree oil, make your own toothpaste with tea tree oil or purchase a tea tree oil topical gel to apply to your gums to prevent bleeding gums and gingivitis.
10. Improve gum health naturally by rinsing with a natural mouthwash or making your own by dissolving a bit of acid-neutralizing baking soda in water, or mixing peppermint or tea tree oil in water.
Tim Kirby says
It is always great to read about how you can improve your dental health naturally. Thanks for the tips.