If you carry a gun in your RV, do you know the rules about transporting firearms in vehicles?
As we explore the backroads and cities of America, many of us feel safer carrying a weapon aboard the RV. And although federal law allows Americans to legally own a gun, that doesn’t mean we can legally move around with them–even if our residence has wheels.
Your RV can be searched without a warrant
- Automobiles can be searched without a warrant at any time by law enforcement officers if you are a crime suspect.
- If your RV is on the move and not hooked up to utilities, your rig is considered an automobile.
- Should law enforcement offers believe you were involved in a crime when you are on the road, they can search your rig without a warrant.
The clearest law about carrying guns in vehicles comes from the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968, which allows law-abiding U.S. citizens without mental or ciminal convictions to transport a firearm on a “peaceable journey” across state lines.
Unfortunately, state and local rules about carrying, storing, and concealing firearms laws differ from place to place. Once you arrive at your destination, you could be breaking the local law just by having a gun in your RV. For example, guns are illegal in America’s national parks.
Unless you’re a lawyer specializing in firearms law, you’ll probably have a hard time interpreting these codes whenever you travel with a gun or other weapon in your rig.
Is it legal to carry guns in RVs?
Again, there’s no easy “yes” or “no” asnwer. If you still want to travel with personal protection and you don’t have a concealed carry weapon permit, you can reduce your chances of violating firearms transport laws by:
- Carrying copies of your firearms certifications, ownership registrations etc. on board.
- Keeping all weapons unloaded, in a locked container far from the reach of the driver while the RV is moving.
- Storing ammo as far away from weapons as possible.
The decision of whether or not to carry a gun in the RV is a huge one. Before you decide, do your research so you can be confident and informed about your rights when traveling.
Other resources:Research Campgrounds, Plan RV Safe Routes & Turn your phone into an RV GPS.
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days