The new Wet Circuits power strip is designed so that if you use it outdoors and some rain falls on it, your computer or other machines plugged into the power strip will keep working and you won’t get an electrical shock.
And if you happen to spill coffee on the strip, or accidentally touch the electrical outlet, that won’t be a problem either. Moreover, if a child inserts a metal object into the outlet, no harm will occur.
Of course, the system isn’t foolproof. The makers warn that if you submerge the strip under water for more than two hours, the special protective material may wear off. It is the special protective material that minimizes the flow of electricity when in contact with water.
The device includes a system to detect overheating and discontinue any electric charge. The power strip is comparatively expensive, at $70, but the manufacturer, headquartered in Taiwan, claims it will last four times as long as a conventional power strip. For information, visit wetcircuits.com.