A two-year project to restore the Heceta Head Lighthouse, 12 miles north of Florence, Oregon, has been completed at a cost of nearly $1.6 million, and the lighthouse is again open for tours.
The lighthouse, originally built in 1893, is one of the most photographed lighthouses in the U.S. and has the brightest light on the Oregon coast. A team of 100 craftspeople undertook the restoration work, which included removing cement stucco that had sealed in moisture, installing new windows, repairing the lens rotating mechanism, and replacing and restoring the tower’s metalwork and masonry. A $1.27 million grant from the Federal Highway Administration helped pay for the work.
The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department closed the lighthouse in August 2011 and reopened it last month for tours from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. For information, visit oregonstateparks.org.