We just came off the road in October so it hasn’t been a long time since our motorhome has been sitting on its pad waiting for our next outing. Even when the motorhome sits around for just a few short weeks things need looking at and tending to.
I checked my supplies and found that I needed some oil so what do I elect to do, go out on Black Friday to the Wal*Mart here in Conway and go and pickup 2 quarts of motor oil. When I got there I was shocked to find empty parking spots close in to the store. Going inside I didn’t hardly see anyone at the registers. What a difference 10:00 in the morning after the rush makes!
First things, vacuum and freshen up the rugs, dust and clean the inside. I checked my battery minder and found that it had slipped out of the plug a little bit and it wasn’t making a full contact. I checked the chassis battery and it showed 12.4 volts. Not bad but I know it could be better. I plugged the battery minder in all the way and left it to do its thing. I tuned on the fridge and started to cool that down as well.
Today I did the outside; check the engine oil and topped off, add antifreeze (Dexcool) up to the cold mark in the recovery bottle, checked the generator oil, put a gauge on the tires and adjust the pressures. Concluding my prep work, I looked at coach batteries’ electrolyte levels and added water to the coach batteries. I checked the house panel and selected the chassis battery. It was up to 13+ volts. I toggled over to the coach batteries and they read over 13 volts. Good to go! We are down to 1/2 tank on the LP but I expect to top that off once we get on the road.
The next thing I did was to go around and look for something that I can remove from the compartments. If I hadn’t touched it for a year, out it goes. I found and removed some equipment and chemical cleaners and put that stuff up in the garage. Next time I touch the stuff and not use it, into the garbage it goes.
Later in the day Colleen and I went to the Food Lion and stocked up on supplies for our trip. When we got home we backed up the car to the motorhome and unloaded and put that stuff away. We continued bringing stuff into the motorhome throughout the afternoon and at this point we’re just about ready to go.
In the morning I’ll grab the last minute items and my computer gear. Oh yea … Roxy too!
I have a dual driveway in front of our house that goes to the pad and the garage in front of the house. It looks like a horseshoe with a short driveway over a ditch that exits out to the street.
Concluding our activities for today, I took the cover off of our Blue Ox Aladdin towbar, stowed that. I got in the car and then backed it up car up in front of the garage. In the morning I’ll drive the motorhome out to the street, put it in reverse and back up toward the garage and hook up the car.
All of this reminds me so much of all the stuff I have been watching this week on the NASA channel in regard to the space shuttle. Getting all the systems ready and spinning up expectation about getting our motorhome back on the road is always fun. It’s forecast to be a nice 31 degrees here in the morning.
Departing we’ll be making our way North and West to Louisville, KY some slightly over 700 miles. We expect to stop at least once on the way up and back. The I-40 is closed right before the TN border due to a rock slide so we have to detour around and stay on I26 all the way up to I81 and then go West and pick up the I75. It’s not that bad when you’re looking at the overall trip but it’s going to add about 70 miles we figure to our trip.
As we”ll be on the road tomorrow, I’ll try to enter another Blog after we get into the campground. On Tuesday I’ll be attending the RVIA Exposition. I’ll be taking pictures and writing articles about what I have seen so far so stay tuned!
This will be the first time for me to be taking our motorhome up to Louisville for the show. We’re staying at the KOA North in Clarkstown, IN. Although it may get a little cold it doesn’t look like there’s any significant snow on the horizon at the moment. We are keeping an eye on the weather resources that we have and it’s showing that it may snow next Thursday afternoon. If that’s the case we’ll be getting out of town and heading back south a little earlier. We are expecting to stay until Friday morning.