Dandruff is an annoying, embarrassing condition that many of us will deal with at some point in our lives. There are plenty of expensive, chemical-laden anti-dandruff shampoos on the market that will likely do the job, but most people can treat dandruff and itchy scalp without washing their hair with toxic chemicals.
If you suffer from an itchy scalp or embarrassing flakes that make you avoid wearing dark clothes, try these 10 simple ways to treat dandruff naturally before you turn to the commercial stuff that may do more harm than good.
1. Switch to a natural, sulfate-free shampoo to avoid chemicals that may be irritating your scalp and making the condition worse.
2. Wash your hair daily to avoid the oily buildup that can worsen dandruff.
3. Mix water and apple cider vinegar in equal amounts, and apply it to your scalp in the shower. Massage the treatment into your skin, and wait a minute or two before shampooing your hair.
4. If your scalp itches incessantly, try massaging it with aloe vera gel to soothe the itch.
5. Mix corn meal with just a bit of grapeseed oil, and massage it into your scalp. This works to both exfoliate your skin and absorb unwanted oil.
6. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo to combat the fungus that often causes dandruff.
7. Avoid using too many styling products, which can worsen the oily buildup that feeds the fungus that causes dandruff.
8. Melt a small amount of organic coconut oil, and massage it into your scalp. Applying oil to your scalp may seem counterproductive, but the anti-fungal properties of coconut oil can help combat dandruff-causing fungus.
9. If you think your dandruff is caused by dry skin, massage a small amount of almond oil into your scalp, cover your hair with a shower cap, and wait about 20 to 30 minutes before shampooing.
10. Avoid foods that can make dandruff worse, such as dairy products and fried foods.
You may also want to increase your intake of foods rich in biotin, B vitamins and zinc, all of which may help improve the health of your scalp and reduce dandruff.
Most folks who use natural dandruff treatments begin to see the results within the first week, so you could soon be enjoying a flake-free life once you find the remedy that is right for you.
Leave a Reply