Checking out new RV models at different shows is a great way to decide on your next rig. But before you ever commit to buying a new RV you should understand the real cost of RV ownership for that model.
Whether your plans include a towable, motorhome, truck bed camper, or simple pop-up tent, there will always be repairs and maintenance expenses. Cost of ownership for RVs varies among models, but in general this infographic by Wholesale Warranties does a good job at showing what you can expect.
Determining the cost of ownership
Comparing cost of ownership is a hot topic with RVers and you’ll find endless debates about which RV costs more to maintain. The problem is there is no exact science to determine cost of ownership since that depends on things like:
- The RV’s age
- How it was maintained by the previous owner
- What type of materials and appliances the manufacturer used
- How often the RV was driven or towed
- The number of people and pets who lived in it
Even brand new RVs have problems that usually appear exactly one day after the manufacturer’s warranty expires!
Can you pay for RV repairs?
Keeping an emergency repairs savings account is a wise idea. For many RVers, the addition of an extended warranty brings extra peace of mind on the road.
- An extended warranty usually goes beyond what a manufacturer will cover even when their warranty is still in force.
- You can get an extended warranty on new or used RVs.
- The warranty contract can be for anywhere from two to seven years.
- Deductibles usually start at around $100–and any repairs after that usually cost you nothing.
Extended warranties are a wise choice for RVers who know nothing about repairs–or ones who just don’t want to deal with fixing things. For your best selection of warranties, contact a broker like Wholesale Warranties. They can match you up with the right RV warranty policy for your budget and lifestyle.
This post is sponsored by Wholesale Warranties and the Social Knowledge Online Community Network. We only share information we feel is relevant to our readers.Research Campgrounds, Plan RV Safe Routes & Turn your phone into an RV GPS.
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days