It didn’t take as long as I expected probably due to the speed of the machine that this OS was installed on. By 11:30 or thereabouts the install was competed.
Toward the bottom of the Upgrade Processes Screen it indicated that 397093 out of 397093 was completed. I believe this number to be in MB.
The machine restarted for the 1st time and it presented the new Windows 7 logo. After a few seconds it said, “Windows is preparing the computer for its first use”. Continuing, it stated “Checking Video”.
After this process I saw my first color screen in the W7 environment and it asked for me to enter the 25 digit product key. The key is located on a separate sheet on the inside cover of the DVD case.
Once the key was entered the computer continued to update settings including the system time, DST settings and the TZ. Immediately following that, the system asked to select the type of network the computer was on, I chose “Home.”
The connecting to Network wizard began to run and completing that the Login Screen came up. I entered Col’s password and the system stated that it was preparing the desktop. The next thing that I saw was the Vista desktop just as I had left it and practically nothing moved.
The Internet apps like Weather Bug came right up. Once things settled down a bit on the HDD activity LED, a window popped up and requested that I activate the copy of windows. All you need to do is click on a link and that process happened very quickly and I was returned to the desktop.
Not wanting to wait for the automatic Windows update to execute, I rushed the process along by clicking on the Window’s ball in the bottom left of the screen formerly the “Start” button on XP machines and entered Windows Update in the search box. The option came right up and I hit enter and the OS went out to find any updates. 9 updates were immediately available and I downloaded and applied those. The size of those files was about 40MB.
Concluding that, I allowed the system restart to occur. As soon as the machine came back up was was stable which it did with no problems, I restored the protection from NISv10. Once Norton came up, I ran a liveupdate (LU) for Norton and that downloaded and applied 4 files. Norton ISv10 BTW has a pretty neat looking screen and it rotates 180° into a new information screen called “Performance.”
Colleen uses AOL a lot so I had to install some files for that and restart the machine. Restarting the machine, Windows update on its own manged to pull down 5 more files and I installed those as well.
Completing he install I re-installed iTunes and the HP Quick Launch application that were previously uninstalled. HP smart update when through OK without any new filed needed.
One of the final processes was in regard to the browser and default search engines. I ran IE8 and it went into it’s config mode and after accepting practically all the defaults and setting her homepage to “My Yahoo” , she was pretty much ready to go.
So that’s it …. and “Yes!” Col was able to check her eMail this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed – no complaints from the boss so far!
This Windows 7 update went through much better than I would have ever expected. I didn’t have to out and find and reload every driver for the system and the OS started right up without a hiccup. I give it a BIG thumps up!