The best RV trips start with a safe route leading you to a beautiful campground, RV park, or RV resort. Most trip planning solutions such as Google Maps are designed for cars. What might be a safe route in a car could be a potentially dangerous path with an RV. Low clearances, steep grades, hairpin turns, are just a few of the hazards you need to watch out for.
Thankfully we now we have a huge selection of RV trip planning apps that help you with everything from planning safe routes to streamlining your research to find the perfect campground.
Here are our favorite RV trip planning apps for great adventures.
RV Trip Wizard is:
A money saver. In one spot you can calculate the cost of your entire trip. It stands out from other apps because it tracks what you’ll pay for fuel, campgrounds, meals & even entertainment.
Tailored to your preferences. Plan stays at highly rated campgrounds or pick from RV campgrounds affiliated with certain clubs. Whether you want to camp free on BLM land or live it up at full-service RV resorts, you’ll see all of them in this app.
You can also prioritize which camping club stops are most important to you. For example, if you hold Passport America and Escapees RV Club memberships, set your Passport parks as your first choice since the camping discount is larger than what’s offered by your second choice, Escapees.
- Easy to use. The intuitive, drag and drop interface makes it easy to visualize your routes and stops along the way.
- Useable with all of your devices. The software integrates across all types of devices from desktop computers to smartphones. It even works with your GPS! For travelers who want paper documentation, you can even print trip summaries with trip factors like:
- Contact information for each destination
- Mileage between stops and overall trip mileage
- Trip cost estimates and GPS coordinates.
Finally, RV Trip Wizard stands out from other itinerary planners because it features tons of other useful information that RVers use often, like locating:
- Free overnight parking at RV-friendly casinos and Walmarts.
- Pet hospitals: over 8,000 are in the directory
- Bike trails: over 12,000 are included
- Go golfing: more than 16,000 courses are included
You can read more about RV Trip Wizard in this article from Do It Yourself RV.
When you’re looking for trusted insight about RV parks, turn to other RVers for the most trusted reviews. Campground Reviews (formerly known as RV Park Reviews) is the web’s oldest and largest resource of reviews for Campgrounds, RV parks, and RV resorts. Specifically designed to collect and display data useful for RVers that you won’t find on the big generic review sites.
RVers leave feedback on the campground itself and their specific site that they camped in. This allows you to understand what it will be like navigating the interior roads of the campground. Are there tight turns, scraping branches, obstacles or poor road conditions?
The site-specific feedback from other RVers helps you get a feel for what your site will be like. This helps you understand how spacious a site might be, if it’s sunny or shaded, and the site surface (dirt, concrete, grass, etc).
Not only does Campground Reviews have more detailed reviews but they also display Tips from other RVers about things to do in the area, places to eat, and other tidbits of useful information. We really like the Tips that other RVers leave.
Tens of thousands of RVers post their opinions about campgrounds throughout North America. Don’t head anywhere without checking out their reviews first.
You can find:
- Campgrounds near you: The RV LIFE app has an integrated database from Campground Reviews so you can easily search and find campgrounds near you with your phone’s location enabled, as well as read and leave reviews on RV parks that you’ve visited.
- Articles on RVing: On the Articles tab, users can scroll through and read articles from RV LIFE and Do It Yourself RV. Check out our latest trip ideas, tips on RVing, useful gear, cool conversions, and industry-leading motorhomes.
- Offline maps & other premium features: If you plan on going off-the-grid without internet, you can also upgrade the app to access the offline maps and other premium features. Subscribers can get directions to any RV park even when there is no WiFi available.
No app will help you track your fuel usage and vehicle expenses better than Fuelly. In addition to fuel-ups, you can also log in any maintenance, services, accidents, expenses, and other notes on your vehicle that you won’t want to lose.
Fuelly can be used with your car, truck, motorcycles, or snowmobiles. The app also has helpful time and mileage service reminders like the engine oil and the air filter.
Why pay 10 cents more per gallon when there is a cheaper gas station only one block up the street? Gas Buddy is one of the most useful resources for finding the cheapest gas in your area. Saving a bit here and there per gallon will definitely add up in the long run.
Search their free Apple app or Android app, or on their website to find all of the gas stations near you. You can also pay with GasBuddy to save even more per gallon. Their premium memberships also include roadside assistance services.
See also: Free Apps For Comparing Gas Prices
What RV trip planning apps do you like to use? Let us know and comment, we’d love to learn from your RV travels!
RV Trip Wizard and Fuelly are owned by Social Knowledge, the parent company of RV LIFE. While they are part of our network, we still personally recommend both of the tools and use them on a regular basis.Research Campgrounds, Plan RV Safe Routes & Turn your phone into an RV GPS.
Try the RV LIFE Pro Bundle FREE for 7 days
Rene Agredano and her husband, Jim Nelson, became full-time RVers in 2007 and have been touring the country ever since. In her blog, Rene chronicles the ins and outs of the full-timing life and brings readers along to meet the fascinating people and amazing places they visit on the road. Her road trip adventures are chronicled in her blog at LiveWorkDream.com.